Please look at these resources before beginning your work:
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (Links to an external site.)
- Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters: Police, fire, and other first responders: What rescue workers can do (Links to an external site.)
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. (5th ed.). Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing. Section II: Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders.
- Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters for parents of children exposed to violence or disaster: What parents can do (Links to an external site.)
- Preventing Youth Violence
- Understanding youth violence (Links to an external site.)
- Coping with stress after a traumatic event (Links to an external site.)
Case Study: Johnny is a 12-year-old student at Hometown Middle School. Six weeks ago, he witnessed a fight at lunch time between two students at the adjacent table in the cafeteria. During the fight, a knife was pulled and its use resulted in serious injury to one of the students. Emergency medical services (EMS) were called, and the student was removed via ambulance. Since that day, Johnny has had frequent nightmares in which he revisits the fight scene. He has refused to eat lunch in the cafeteria and instead hides in the bathroom during the lunch hour. Once this was discovered, he was brought to the guidance counselor, and his mother was called to school. Johnny insists that the cafeteria isn’t safe, and in discussion with the guidance counselor his mother mentions that Johnny insists on keeping a kitchen knife at his bedside table. Further evaluation of Johnny’s school performance demonstrates that his grades have fallen from their usual level.
The biopsychosocial model of health psychology incorporates biological, social, and psychological factors. Based on these, evaluate the health-related behaviors exhibited by Johnny in the scenario. What health promotion (prevention) practices could be addressed? What factors might influence Johnny and his mother’s utilization of healthcare resources based on his developmental stage? Assess the scenario and comment on how psychological methods might be employed to assist Johnny in managing and coping with the situation.
Your assignment should include the sections listed below. Each section will focus on stress-related behaviors, referral for services, risk factors, and management and prevention of a stress-related disorder. Answer the following questions, citing information from the specified resource(s) to support your writing and any statements of fact. Each question should be answered in a separate section, with a minimum of at least one paragraph (minimum three sentences). In addition to the specified resources for each section, you may include additional scholarly or peer-reviewed references relating to the topic question, but this is not required. Be sure to synthesize the information provided in the class resources regarding the factors affecting Johnny’s behaviors and choices.
The sections listed below should be used as headings in your paper so that the following content is organized as outlined below. Explain your answers to the questions in each section:
- Section One – Diagnosis: Using the diagnostic criteria from DSM-5, evaluate Johnny’s situation. Based on DSM-5 criteria, is he suffering from PTSD?
Required resource: DSM-5.
- Section Two – Rescue Workers: What steps could rescue workers have taken to reduce the stress response of any children observing the knife fight?
Required resource: Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters: Police, fire, and other first responders: What rescue workers can do.
- Section Three – Parents: What steps can Johnny’s parents take to help their child?
Required resource: Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters for parents of children exposed to violence or disaster: What parents can do.
- Section Four – Referral Criteria: What symptoms indicate referral to a mental healthcare specialist?
Required resources: Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters for parents of children exposed to violence or disaster: What parents can do; Helping children and adolescents cope with violence and disasters: Police, fire, and other first responders: What rescue workers can do; Coping with stress after a traumatic event.
- Section Five – Preventing School Violence: What methods can be used to prevent school violence?
Required resource: Understanding School Violence.
- Section Six – Risk Factors for Youth Violence: What are the risk factors that predict violent behaviors in youth?
Required resource: Understanding Youth Violence.
- Section Seven – Risk Factors for PTSD: What are the risk factors and resilience factors regarding the developing PTSD?
Required resource: Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Section Eight – Treatments for PTSD: What treatments are available for PTSD?
Required resource: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Writing the Assignment
- Must be four to six double-spaced pages in length not including the title and references pages, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must include paragraphs of a minimum of 3 sentences.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use the resources required for the assignment; you may include additional resources to support your work but these must be scholarly or peer-reviewed.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center if additional references are used in the paper.