1. High-level formatting in Windows XP, Vista, and 7 uses which tool or utility?
A. Disk Management
B. Norton Formatter
C. Format Wizard
D. Track Delineator
2. You’ve just added an external FireWire hard drive to your PC. What should you configure this drive as?
B. The drive configures itself.
C. Device = 15 (0)
D. IRQ = 14
3. The purpose of RAID arrangements is to
A. reduce the seek time of the slowest disk.
B. optimize the use of the operating system.
C. utilize less expensive hardware.
D. avoid data loss from disk drive failure.
4. DOS has been superseded as an operating system, but it’s still used by technicians as a
A. tool for troubleshooting PC problems.
B. means to communicate among one another.
C. code generator.
D. repository for hidden utility files.
5. What is it called when a hard drive writes a sector, skips one or more sectors, and then writes another
B. Intersector weaving
D. Sector skipping
6. Low-level formatting, which is now mostly done by the hard drive manufacturer, organizes the disk into
B. tracks and sectors.
D. allocation tables.
7. Which sequence of events is in the correct order for formatting a hard drive?
A. Low-level format, partition, install the operating system, DOS format
B. Low-level format, partition, high-level format
C. Partition, low-level format, DOS format, install the operating system
D. DOS format, low-level format, partition, install the operating system
8. What is defined as a “stack of tracks”?
9. Tom says that the hard drive stores large amounts of data and is the major storage device on a PC. Ryan
says that the hard drive contains several read/write heads that allow for reading and writing of the data they
produce. Which one of the following statements is true?
A. Only Tom is correct.
B. Both Tom and Ryan are correct.
C. Neither Tom nor Ryan are correct.
D. Only Ryan is correct.
10. Aileen says that an adapter card controls the disk drives in a computer. Katelyn says that the
motherboard controls the disk drives. Which one of the following statements is true?
A. Only Katelyn is correct.
B. Only Aileen is correct.
C. Neither Aileen nor Katelyn are correct.
D. Both Aileen and Katelyn are correct.
11. What translation mode can be used to allow a PC to see beyond 504 MB on an IDE hard drive?
12. The active partition of a hard drive contains the
A. functioning operating system.
B. dynamic sector.
C. logical drive designators.
D. extended partition parameters.
13. Partitioning a hard drive into a basic disk configuration creates the MBR and the
A. partition table.
B. extended partition.
C. registry key.
D. dynamic sector.
14. Which one of the following is found in a reserved area of a hard drive?
15. The FireWire interface allows hot-swapping, which refers to
A. automatic shutdown when the drive becomes overheated.
B. connecting a drive while the computer is running without rebooting.
C. detecting intrusion attempts and shutting down access to the drive.
D. transferring data from an overheated drive to backup storage.
16. Technician A says that the formatting operation will mark bad sectors as unusable. Technician B says
that the formatting operation will scan and test the disk to make sure all of the sectors are reliable. Which
of the following statements is true?
A. Both Technician A and Techncian B are correct.
B. Only Technician A is correct.
C. Neither Technician A nor Technician B are correct.
D. Only Technician B is correct.
17. How many bytes are in a sector?
18. You have an existing hard drive on your IDE adapter. You’re installing a second hard drive and want to
keep the first hard drive as the bootable hard drive. How should you configure the second hard drive?
19. You open up the case on a customer’s PC and determine that it’s using an internal USB 2.0 interface.
How many devices can it support?
End of exam
20. In a hard drive, the time required to position the head over the proper track and measure speed is called
C. arrival time.
D. seek time.You’re creating custom cables to use in building custom configurations of legacy PCs for a client, and
you decide to create a collection of floppy drive cables. Which pins must you remember to reverse on these
cables in order to allow cable select settings?
2. When the computer system’s power is first turned on, what track are the read/write heads of the drive
are automatically set to?
3. The floppy disk must contain two hidden files (commonly _______ and _______) plus
COMMAND.COM, in order to be bootable in DOS.
A. FAT, THIN
B. ALPHA, GAMMA
C. SCSI, SCSC
D. MSBIO.COM, MSDOS.COM
4. Which one of the following statements about clusters is false?
A. A cluster can consist of 512 bytes of information.
B. The operating system assigns a unique number to a cluster for data storage and retrieval.
C. A cluster can consist of 1,024 bytes of information.
D. The operating system considers a cluster the largest unit of data it will read or write.
5. The hole where the floppy drive accesses the floppy disk is called the
A. index hole.
B. head aperture.
C. write-protect notch.
D. label area.
6. When command.com is loaded, what type of DOS commands are also loaded into memory?
7. You’re setting up training for a PC tech class, and you want to be sure and label all the cables in your
example legacy PC correctly. In order to identify the working voltage properly, what label will you put on
the power cable for the floppy drive?
A. 1.5 VDC
B. 3 VDC
C. 5 VDC
D. 12 VDC
8. When the computer system needs to access data on the disk, the read/write heads are moved along
invisible concentric cylinders, which are usually referred to as
9. If a floptical disk doesn’t have a write-protect notch, how is write-protection accomplished?
A. The disk can be write-protected during formatting of the disk.
B. The disk can be write-protected with the use of software.
C. The disk can be write-protected by using a special cable.
D. A disk without a write-protect notch can’t be write-protected.
10. Which one of the following statements about flash memory cards is false?
A. They connect to a read-write device.
B. The memory on the cards is considered solid-state.
C. They’re easily damaged.
D. They allow faster access to information.
11. Two PC repair technicians are discussing transferring data from a SmartMedia card to a laptop PC.
Technician A says you can get an adapter that fits into the USB port to read the SmartMedia card.
Technician B says you get a PCMCIA adapter to read that type of flash memory. Who is correct?
A. Only Technician B
B. Only Technician A
12. When the write-protect notch on a disk is open, you can _______ the disk.
A. write to
B. read from and write to
D. read from
13. You’re reconnecting a data cable that isn’t keyed for the connector. How can you tell which is the
correct way to reinstall the cable?
A. The terminal holes on the connector must be on the top.
B. Insert the end with the twist into the connector
C. Line up the non-colored edge of the cable with pin 1.
D. Line up the colored edge of the cable with pin 1.
14. Where is the master boot record for a floppy disk located?
A. Track 1, sector 0
B. Track 1, sector 1
C. Track 0, sector 1
D. Track 0, sector 0
15. A Jaz drive typically uses which type of interface?
16. What type of removable media can store up to 2 GB of data?
D. Floppy disk
17. What does ASR stand for?
A. Associated Security Report
B. Augmented Systems Reaction
C. Automated System Restore
D. Augmented Security Root
18. While the _______ refers to the physical layout of the floppy disk, the _______ refers to the way the
data is logically written to a floppy disk.
A. panel; track
B. case; jumper
C. sector; cluster
D. header; connector
End of exam
19. The maximum amount of information that a formatted 3½-inch high-density disk can hold is
A. 1.2 MB.
B. 360 KB.
C. 720 KB.
D. 1.44 MB.
20. Disk drives are random-access devices while tape drives are serial. What does serial access mean?
A. To retrieve a file, a tape must be moved to where the file is stored.
B. Tape drives can’t be used to archive data.
C. Retrieving a file on a tape is faster than retrieving a file on a disk.
D. Tape drives can store less data than disk drives.
Computer Science homework help