DUE TOMORROW, 10/15/17!!! BY 13:00!!!
Using the Internet, research the legal case University and Community College System of Nevada v. Farmer.
1. Re-read the University case, “University and Community College System of Nevada v. Farmer” in your textbook (See attached).
2. Note the data under the case title: 113 Nev. 90, 930 P.2d 730 (Nev. Sup. Ct. 1997), cert. denied, 523 U.S. 1004 (March 9, 1998). What do these details signify? (ANSWER THIS QUESTION)
3. Study the case questions and answer (See QUESTIONS BELOW).
4. Outline and submit the case, using the standard legal outline headings. (See “Sample Outline for Legal Cases” Below”
OUTLINE THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED FOR ASSIGNMENT:
I. Case Name and Citation
a. Include the court or agency deciding the case
b. Include the citation, which tells where to find the reported decision.
II. Key Facts (in brief)
a. Why – are parties before the court or agency?
b. What – are the parties seeking?
III. Stage in the legal process (Trial Court, NLRB,Appeals Court, etc.)
a. What happened at prior stages (if any) in the legal process?
IV. Legal Issue (s)
a. Include legal problem(s) raised by the facts of the dispute.
V. Reasoning of the Decision-Maker
a. Why was dispute resolved the way it was?
b. How did the decision-maker apply or reconcile the legal principles involved?
Answer Case Questions Below:
1. Why did the university adopt its affirmative action plan and the “minority bonus policy”?
2. How was Farmer injured or disadvantaged under the university’s affirmative action plan?
3. How clues the Court here apply the Weber test for legality of affirmative action under Title VII to the facts of this case? Explain your answer.
4. According to the Court, how does the constitutional “strict scrutiny” test apply to the facts of the case here? Explain your answer.